By Steve Noe
The 2013 Green Industry & Equipment Expo (GIE+EXPO) took place Wednesday, Oct. 23, through Friday, Oct. 25, at Louisville’s Kentucky Exposition Center. Oct. 23 was Dealer Day, and the final two days of the show were open to everyone. With a 6-percent registration increase, more than 18,000 people turned out for the three-day show. Following is a rundown of several of the show’s top stories, which are arranged in alphabetical order by company/brand or organization name. For more GIE+EXPO 2013 coverage, including additional photos with the following stories, view the online version of the article at www.outdoorpowerequipment.com.
Altoz makes successful debut
Three years in the making, Altoz, Inc. unveiled four lines of zero-turn mowers (XC Z, XC S, XP Z and XP S) and a total of 18 different models to dealers and lawn care professionals at GIE+EXPO.
The event started off with a bang when the Altoz team welcomed dealers from all over the world to its exhibit space on Wednesday. It was there that dealers were able to see this line of mowers in person for the first time, and the response was filled with excitement that produced a wave of momentum throughout the show.
Thursday brought even more traffic to the Altoz booths. Lawn care professionals were able to learn about the mowers with product specialists from Altoz, and take the newest mowers in the market for a test ride at the Altoz outdoor booth. Lawn care professionals echoed much of the same sentiment that was shared by dealers — a mower that had a presence and a look that was too impressive to ignore. To top it off, the outdoor booth let the industry and its lawn care professionals know that high-end performance was also a hallmark of Altoz mowers.
In addition to welcoming waves of grounds care professionals to its exhibit space on Thursday, Altoz leaders were able to meet with many members of the industry media. Founders Dennis and Terri Brazier, along with product specialist Mark Reese, were able to discuss their passion for designing the product and their vision for the future in a private setting.
With Friday serving as the final day of GIE+EXPO, the positive feedback from those attending continued. As the show began to wrap up, there were a few key takeaways shared by dealers and attendees. First, Altoz has delivered an extremely high-quality design and engineering effort. Second, the Altoz mower lines kept operator comfort front of mind, making them set to tackle the toughest and largest jobs. The third and most prominent response from those in attendance was that the racecar-inspired design creates the perfect blend of great style and industry-leading speed.
This is just the beginning of what to expect from Altoz. GIE+EXPO was an ideal setting to launch the Altoz brand and its product offerings. As the brand continues to grow and expand its product lines, dealer network, and consumer base, the industry interest and excitement looks poised to climb as well.
For more information, visit www.altoz.com.
Ariens Path-Pro single-stage snowthrowerAriens Company showcases
new products, technologies
The Ariens Company debuted numerous products and technologies under its Ariens and Gravely brands at GIE+EXPO. They included the following:
* Auto-Turn steering technology: This zero-turning technology is exclusively available for Ariens Sno-Thro snow blowers. It enables operators to turn effortlessly without adjusting speed or engaging triggers or levers, making snow removal easier, faster and more comfortable.
* Ariens Path-Pro single-stage snowthrower: The new Path-Pro (21-inch clearing width) is the smallest snowthrower built by Ariens, but is designed to be durable enough for heavyweight use by professional snow removal crews and comes with an entry price of $399.
* Ariens and Gravely Hydro Brush 36: With a 36-inch clearing width, this all-season machine is capable of moving snow, sand, dirt and gravel from sidewalks, driveways and decorative surfaces like patio brick or cobblestone. It can also be used to dethatch or remove gravel from lawns. It boasts a hydrostatic transmission engineered in partnership with Hydro-Gear. Designed with a thermal management system to prevent overheating, the Hydro-Gear RT-210 transmission allows for infinite speed control, smooth operation and minimal maintenance. Speed can be adjusted while the power brush is still moving, eliminating jumping or lurching with speed changes. The hydro drive system’s synthetic oil will not break down like conventional oils and does not require adjustments, meaning it is maintenance free.
* Gravely Pro-Turn Series with high-horsepower option: Gravely announced the addition of a 35-hp. Kawasaki FX1000V engine option to its Pro-Turn Series of zero-turn mowers. This option will be available on the Pro-Turn 460 and 472 models.
* Gravely Pro-Stance 36: With patent-pending features, including integrated transmissions, a dial height-of-cut and foot pedal deck lift, the new 36-inch-wide Pro-Stance is small enough to fit within gates and tight spaces, yet doesn’t sacrifice productivity and superior results.
* Gravely Commercial 21: A 21-inch commercial walk-behind mower powered by the Kawasaki FJ180V KAI 179-cc OHV engine.
* Blade Brake Clutch (BBC) versions of the Ariens Razor and Gravely XD3 21-inch walk-behind mowers: The BBC option allows the engines of both mowers to run while the blade is stopped, making it easy to start and safe to operate. This feature allows operators to easily move obstacles or empty grass bags while working.
* Ariens and Gravely All Purpose Vacuum (APV) for effectively picking up leaves, litter and other debris. A zipperless bag design simplifies emptying debris, and the Rite-Hite Handlebar adjustment allows for height customization and easy storage.
* Ariens and Gravely 22-ton log splitter: With a 22-ton splitting force, the log splitter easily cuts through most types of wood and can accommodate a variety of jobs. Powered by a 174-cc/4.5-hp. Subaru vertical-shaft OHC engine, it has a 12-second cycle time and a 25-inch log capacity. Plus, it has an open operating zone, which promotes less operator bending, reaching and fatigue.
For more information, visit www.ariens.com.
B3C Fuel Solutions announces
premium 2-cycle oil with
Ethanol Shield fuel stabilizer
B3C Fuel Solutions, LLC, a manufacturer of environmentally friendly products and solutions for ethanol- and bio-fuel-related problems, announced its new Ethanol Shield 2-Cycle Oil. This ultra-synthetic blend 2-in-1 formula is a premium-quality 2-cycle oil with all the benefits of the Ethanol Shield Fuel Stabilizer. This OEM-tested, verified and approved 2-cycle oil provides customer convenience and savings with its new 2-in-1 formulation.
Ethanol Shield 2-Cycle Oil is the “bridge” that bonds fuel, ethanol and water, preventing phase separation and the associated problems. This 1-gallon, 50:1 mix ensures maximum protection for any 2-cycle engine, including those found on string trimmers, blowers, snowmobiles, chain saws, and more. Ethanol Shield 2-Cycle Oil provides 2 products at a cost comparable to “average” 2-cycle oils with the convenience and ease of use (no measuring, no need to add additional additives).
Key benefits include: 1) Protects and prevents repairs, extending engine life; 2) Stabilizes fuel up to 1 year; 3) Protects against all ethanol issues; 4) Triple antioxidants stop fuel decay; 5) Rust and corrosion inhibitors; 6) Bonds 2-cycle oil to fuel, stopping lean seizures; 7) Reduces engine temperature; 8) Reduces lacquer and varnish buildup; 9) Protects against ring wear and sticking; 10) Conditions rubber and plastic; 11) Low-smoke formula; 12) Top-tier detergent; 13) Customer convenience and savings; and 14) Meets or exceeds ISO L-EGD and FD certification.
“B3C Fuel Solutions is excited to offer power equipment users the added convenience and savings our new 2-in-1 formula 2-cycle oil provides,” said Brian O’Neil, chief business development officer, B3C Fuel Solutions. “Not only is this a superior synthetic blend 2-cycle oil, it also provides all the tangible benefits and engine protection our Ethanol Shield Fuel Stabilizer offers, in the same bottle.”
For additional information, visit www.B3CFuel.com.
Bad Boy Buggies Ambush iSBad Boy Buggies makes GIE+EXPO debut
Exhibiting at GIE+EXPO for the first time, Bad Boy Buggies introduced OPE dealers to the new Ambush iS off-road utility vehicle and a business-boosting package of support, tools and benefits.
Like all Bad Boy Buggies vehicles, the Ambush iS is manufactured by E-Z-GO, a division of Textron Inc. The manufacturing facility in Augusta, Ga., has received The Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence, a prestigious award that recognizes world-class processes and operational excellence.
Designed for hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts, the Ambush iS offers a combination of range, power and silence that is unmatched by competitive utility vehicles. The Ambush iS features the flexibility to switch between independent gas and electric powertrains, the utility of Regen Mode to recharge the vehicle’s batteries on the fly, and the ability to engage both powertrains at once for 4-wheel-drive power. It was available for test drives at the show.
A pioneer in 4WD electric vehicles, Bad Boy Buggies brings strong brand recognition among hunters, backed by a pro staff that includes Bill Jordan, Michael Waddell and other respected names in the hunting industry.
Bad Boy Buggies’ dealer support package includes:
Competitive floorplan financing, including up to 180 days with no payments and no interest on vehicles in the showroom
Aggressive consumer financing programs
Factory-backed OEM aftermarket parts and accessories to generate additional revenue
Customer service and training, including a manned helpline, extensive online resources and factory-certified service schools
Territory sales managers with the industry experience and knowledge to help attract and grow business
Professionally produced marketing tools including point-of-purchase materials and customizable direct-mail pieces
Co-op marketing funds
To learn more about Bad Boy Buggies, visit badboybuggies.com.
Billy Goat SC180H hydrostatic-drive sod cutterBilly Goat reveals new products
Billy Goat Industries introduced the 18-inch SC180H hydrostatic-drive sod cutter for taking sod cutting to the next level with its reliability, simplicity, speed and precise cut performance. The Lee’s Summit, Mo.-based company also showcased the new 26-inch fixed-deck Outback brushcutter and a newly enhanced hydrostatic-drive overseeder.
Compared to multiple settings on other machines, the SC180H hydrostatic-drive sod cutter features easy-to-use “Set and Forget” blade depth adjustment where users can simply adjust depth to 2.5 inches with a single lever from the operator station. The unit comes standard with a lockable rear caster wheel for curved or straight cutting. And operators will appreciate the handle isolation mounts that absorb vibration and offer smooth, fatigue-free operation.
Unlike other machines, the SC180H has a variable-speed hydrostatic drive that not only allows operators to tailor cutting speed according to the ground condition, but also allows the unit to offer the fastest transport speed on the market at 3.5 mph. The intuitive drive controls are comfortably under-mounted and include reverse at your fingertips.
The unit’s unique paddle drive wheels clear mud and improve grip for added control. A heavy-duty front bumper bar, along with convenient tie-down points, provide for stable, safe strapping for transportation.
The SC180H comes standard with an 18-inch blade, but a 12-inch blade option is available for smaller cuts. The unit boasts a reliable 5.5-hp. Honda engine backed by a 3-year warranty.
* The BC2600HM and BC2600ICM mechanical drive, fixed-deck Outback brushcutters supersede the prior BC2403 series of Outback brushcutters. The new BC2600 series will be the same great Outback but with next-generation features, ergonomics and productivity. The new series features a wider, 26-inch deck for increased productivity; higher tip speed for better cut quality; a rubberized rear deck trim for added stump clearance in reverse; heavier spindle assembly; improved shifting at the control panel for operator comfort; a shifting linkage for longer cable life; thicker and wider ergonomic handles; and a low engine oil alarm for improved reliability. The new Outback is ideal for meadow mowing and complements the articulating deck, hydraulic drive units with Enhanced Traction Control (ETC) introduced in 2012 that is positioned for more severe terrain and hilly applications (BC2600HH/BC2600HEBH). Both series are designed to cut brush as high as 6 feet and saplings up to 2 inches in diameter. They are also designed to take the abuse of hitting all of those hidden items such as rocks, stumps, fence posts and tires. The heavy-duty blade spindle is reinforced in four directions and connects via a heavy-duty belt to protect the engine, so the operator can keep cutting in the harshest environment. The BC2600 fixed deck is powered by either an 11.5-hp. Briggs (BC2600ICM) or 13-hp. Honda engine (BC2600HM).
* Billy Goat’s newly enhanced OS901SPS overseeder includes a new blade design that reduces thatch and improves blade life due to its sharpened leading edge and attack angle combined with a new foot-actuated height adjust that raises and lowers the reel effortlessly and provides more blade depth. The Billy Goat OS901SPS is hydrostatically self-propelled to reduce fatigue associated with pushing, and it features best-in-class, intuitive right and left operator drive controls. The unit is 22 inches wide with an exclusive 11-blade “floating head” cutting system that maintains contact with the contours of uneven ground, increasing seed-to-soil contact and improving germination rates. An exclusive Auto Drop system automatically starts and stops seed drop with bale engagement and disengagement, conserving seed and preventing end-of-run seed piling. The unit comes standard with a 30-pound seed box with excellent visibility from the operator’s position and is generously elevated above the turf to eliminate clogging. Conversion kits are available to retro-fit the OS900SPS series with the new enhancements.
Visit www.billygoat.com<P for more information.
Vanguard 810-cc engineBriggs & Stratton Commercial Power
reveals Vanguard 810-cc engine line
Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power announced a new line of Vanguard 810-cc engines for commercial zero-turn mowers that is specifically tailored to thrive in the extreme conditions landscape contractors face every day.
The new 810-cc Vanguard engines, available in 24- or 26-gross-hp. models, are designed to maximize productivity by delivering the optimum power, performance and efficiency commercial zero-turn mowers need.
“Briggs & Stratton is known for helping people cut grass — it’s in our DNA,” said Dan Roche, marketing manager with Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power. “We have collaborated with and gained support from the entire organization on this new platform and have logged tens of thousands of hours testing to ensure we perfected the design, materials and assembly process. Landscape contractors can have total confidence knowing these engines are ready to continue the Vanguard brand’s legacy of durability and performance.”
The new models have 810 cc of displacement for higher torque to take on the heavy workloads common in commercial settings. This meets a growing landscape industry demand for higher-displacement engines and hence, higher-productivity mowers, according to Roche.
In addition to power, other features were designed for the rigors of the commercial cutting work environment. The engine’s new debris chopper fan offers excellent debris management while providing up to 30-degree-cooler engine temperatures to guarantee the mower performs even when conditions get tough. Debris access panels allow for quick and easy maintenance. The high-flow blower housing offers more than 30-percent-larger intake surface area than the next closest competitor.
Highlighting Vanguard’s commitment to producing the most reliable and durable commercial turf engines on the market, the 810-cc engines will be produced at the all-new Vanguard Certified Production Center located in Briggs & Stratton’s Auburn, Ala., plant. There, the engines will be assembled exclusively by certified Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technicians (MSTs).
Unlike most other engines, the Vanguard 810-cc engines will be almost exclusively assembled using Direct Current (DC) electric hand tools in lieu of more-common air tools. This technology allows technicians to program the fastening process, which results in superior quality control. This process also produces a detailed record of torque sequences and values and generates a “torque DNA” for each engine.
“To be qualified for the Vanguard brand and carry its global 3-year commercial warranty, an engine has to pass a battery of specific tests for durability and reliability in even the most extreme conditions,” Roche said. “From design, to testing, to production, we couldn’t be more confident that the new 810-cc engines are ready to take commercial turf contractors to a new level of performance and productivity.”
All Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power engines are backed by a network of thousands of Authorized Commercial Service Centers worldwide. For more information on the Vanguard commercial engine line from Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power, visit www.vanguardengines.com.
Briggs & Stratton 1650 general-purpose engineBriggs & Stratton unveils five new consumer engines
Briggs & Stratton Corporation is strengthening its consumer walk-behind mower and general-purpose line with the addition of five new engines at GIE+ EXPO. New and improved small engine features such as easy-starting options and more power widen the net of opportunities for consumers and pack a host of benefits:
Walk-behind mower engines: 625 (150 cc) and 450 (125 cc) Series
For the novice or advanced lawnmower owner, the Briggs & Stratton E-Series provides effortless starting options, and a range of power levels with features that make mowing hassle-free. Two advanced lawnmower engine models have joined the line this year:
625 Series features the Briggs & Stratton ReadyStart starting system, requiring no priming or choking — only a pull for power. The lightest mower engine in its class by 30 percent, it also boasts easier maneuverability, improved sound and less vibration for added comfort and enhanced engine life.
450e Series offers quick, consistent starts with the Prime N’ Pull E-Z starting system and mechanical governing for improved engine performance.
General-purpose small engines: 1650 (420 cc), 1450 (306 cc) and 950 (208 cc) Series
This robust, versatile line of general-purpose engines is specifically engineered for applications needed in a wide range of everyday jobs, such as generators, pressure washers, pumps and more. With more gross torque and power levels, these small engines have been extensively tested in a variety of conditions and are built for light, medium or downright demanding work.
Now standard on all Briggs & Stratton general-purpose engines include key components such as Dura-Bore Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve to help withstand wear and abuse over time, while improving oil control. Also, dual-ball bearings, forged cranks, centralized controls and cast-iron camshafts join the list of attributes that help enhance durability.
Plus, an overhead valve design (OHV) allows the engines to run cleaner and cooler, and features such as an automotive-style paper air filter protects the engine, keeping dirt out while extending engine life in a pressure washer or other outdoor power equipment.
The walk-behind mower engines will power lawn mowers and general-purpose small engines in various outdoor power equipment found on eight out of 10 of the leading brands in spring 2014. For more information, visit www.briggsandstratton.com.
Briggs & Stratton Advanced Formula Ethanol-free FuelBriggs & Stratton expands its offering
of premium ethanol-free fuel to dealers
After launching its Advanced Formula Ethanol-free Fuel at select Lowe’s stores in June 2013, Briggs & Stratton announced that it is expanding its offering of the product to its more than 18,000 authorized dealers in North America. Advanced Formula Ethanol-free Fuel is a line of premium stabilizer and fuel blends specifically designed to make operation of 2- and 4-cycle engines smoother, all while helping maintain peak performance.
It’s reported that 90 percent of the nation’s fuel supply contains ethanol, which can cause engine damage because it attracts moisture. “Providing products that dealers can sell to their customers to help prevent engine damage due to ethanol, is in line with our good engine health messaging,” said Carissa Gingras, marketing director of consumer engines and service with Briggs & Stratton. “Our dealer network is an important component of our business growth, and we want to make sure they are equipped with the products needed to help combat issues related to ethanol-blended fuel to help keep their customers’ equipment running properly during the mowing season.”
Briggs & Stratton Advanced Formula Ethanol-free Fuels have two main benefits: ethanol-free gas and convenience that requires no mixing — ready-to-use formulas. Each formula has premium, engineered fuel ingredients, including synthetic oil and stabilizer that work together to reduce corrosion and gum and varnish buildup, which ultimately reduces costly small-engine repairs.
There are three different blended fuel ratios to select from to fit their specific small engine needs:
4-cycle Fuel – for outdoor power equipment such as lawn mowers, pressure washers and string trimmers
40:1 and 50:1 – for 2-cycle engines such as chain saws, leaf blowers and string trimmers, a combination of ethanol-free fuel, synthetic oil and stabilizer
Briggs & Stratton Advanced Formula Ethanol-free Fuels can be used with any gasoline engine. It’s also great for storing seasonal equipment as well. It will stay fresh for up to two years after opening.
For more information on Advanced Formula Ethanol-free Fuel, visit www.briggsandstratton.com.
Snapper gas trimmer
Ferris IS 2100Z
Snapper Pro S125xt
Briggs & Stratton’s Power Products Groupunveils 44 new models for Model Year 2014
The Briggs & Stratton Power Products Group is introducing 44 new product models for Model Year 2014 among its Snapper, Simplicity, Massey Ferguson, Ferris and Snapper Pro brands. The new models are a combination of new products and new line extensions across the various brands, and come on the heels of the 40 new products the company introduced in 2013.
“We are committed to providing our dealers with new and innovative products with which to grow their businesses,” said Harold Redman, senior vice president of Briggs & Stratton and president of the Briggs & Stratton Power Products Group. “Over the past two years, we’ve introduced more than 80 products across our five brands.
“Some are brand-new platforms like the Snapper rear-engine rider and Simplicity tractors with suspension introduced last season. Others are line extensions or improvements like the new 48-inch fabricated deck with limited lifetime warranty that we’re introducing this year on specific lawn tractors.”
Model Year 2014 Snapper brand highlights include the new entry-level ST Series lawn tractor starting at $1,399 and a new “prosumer” zero-turn mower — the 550Z — starting at $4,999. Snapper will also be introducing a new handheld lineup, including gas trimmers, a backpack leaf blower and a hedge trimmer in the spring.
Simplicity is extending its lineup of consumer zero-turn mowers, as well as adding a Regent EX lawn tractor model and ZT2500 zero-turn model featuring a 48-inch fabricated deck with limited lifetime warranty.
Massey Ferguson 2000 Series lawn tractors for 2014 will now be offered with V-twin engines versus the single-cylinder models offered previously. A new “prosumer” 2950 Series zero-turn model featuring a 25-gross-hp. Briggs & Stratton engine and 61-inch fabricated deck is offered for $4,999.
Ferris dealers will be able to offer their customers new ways to “Experience Suspension” with a new IS 2100Z lineup. Six models are being introduced featuring a variety of engine and deck options.
Finally, Snapper Pro is introducing a new S125xt commercial zero turn. Four models are available starting with a 25-gross-hp. unit with 52-inch mowing deck at a retail price of approximately $5,799.
Briggs & Stratton pressure washer with POWERflow+ technology
Briggs & Stratton PowerSmart Series P3000 inverter generator
Briggs & Stratton iPhone with infohub technologyBriggs & Stratton showcases
pressure washer, generator technology
Briggs & Stratton Corporation announced the launch of POWERflow+ Technology on select pressure washers; unveiled the next generation of smart, clean and affordable generators with the PowerSmart Series P3000; and highlighted its infohub wireless monitoring, which allows homeowners to check standby generator’s diagnostics with a mobile device.
* POWERflow+ is more tha