On Dealer Day at GIE+EXPO 2016, Stihl Inc. stole the show with its traditional Oktoberfest-themed, fun-filled booth and $5,000 giveaway, which was won by Kurt Mechling of Performance PowerSports in Seneca, S.C. The company also unveiled more than 35 new products (its most ever at GIE+EXPO), including its Lightning battery system products and several gas-powered products.
“For more than 90 years, Stihl Inc. has been defining the future of outdoor power equipment,” said Steve Meriam, Stihl’s director of sales. “We’ve found new technologies that deliver on Stihl’s reputation for power, performance and dependability. Stihl’s pursuit of continuous improvement means we have refined designs to make equipment lighter in weight, more ergonomic, and easier to use. In 2017, customers will be able to pick their power like never before. We’re thrilled to announce that Stihl is applying a legacy of innovation to a new generation of products with the Stihl Lightning battery systems in the spring of 2017.”
The Stihl Lightning battery systems are divided into three distinct lines: AP Series, AK Series and AI Series. The AP Series is equipped with the most powerful and long run times, making it great for professionals and a wide variety of large properties. The AK Series is ideal for maintaining a suburban yard on a single charge. The AI Series is complete with integrated batteries, hence the “I” in “AI,” making it a solid choice for those looking to maintain smaller yards.
In the AP Series, Stihl introduced the RMA 510 lawn mower that gives homeowners the performance of a gasoline-powered mower without any of the hassles. It features a 21-inch deck width and a large-capacity grass catcher, so users can cover more lawn in less time. On a single charge of the Stihl AP 300 battery, the RMA 510 can cut up to 5,100 square feet of lawn. Also in the AP Series, Stihl introduced the 36-volt, 1,148 watt-hour AR 3000 backpack battery. Interchangeable with all handheld tools in the Stihl AP battery line, this sleek, high-performance battery has 25 percent more capacity than the Stihl AR 900, running for up to 13 hours and eliminating exhaust emissions and fuel costs.
The AK Series offers Stihl quality in a variety of value-priced packages. The line’s products include the MSA 120 C-B chain saw (36 volts, 2.8-amp hour and lightweight at only 8.4 pounds); the FSA 56 string trimmer (can trim the length of five football fields on a single charge); the HSA 56 hedge trimmer (can trim the length of three football fields on a single charge and has a 2,800-stroke-per-minute cutting speed); the BGA 56 handheld blower (can clear a sidewalk the length of seven football fields on a single charge); and Stihl AK batteries and charger.
The AI Series consists of the 5.1-pound FSA 45 string trimmer (can trim the length of more than three football fields on one charge); 5.1-pound HSA 45 hedge trimmer (can trim a hedge up to 20 inches wide and a length longer than a football field on a single charge with a 2,500-stroke-per-minute cutting speed); and 4.4-pound BGA 45 blower (on a single charge, clears up to 13 parking spaces with an 85-mph blowing speed and a 235-cfm air volume).
In addition to the Lightning battery system products, Stihl introduced the following gas-powered products:
* Stihl BR 700 backpack blower: The 64.8-cc BR 700 is Stihl’s most powerful backpack blower, delivering 35 Newtons (912 cfm, 165 mph) of blowing force.
* Stihl pole pruners: Stihl updated its pole pruner line with 4 new models: HT 102, HT 103, HT 132, and HT 133. These new models have an updated gearbox design, making them lighter and easier to maneuver. With large 710-cc fuel tanks, each pole pruner provides 30 percent longer run times than the previous models, so users can spend less time refueling and more time cutting.
* Stihl string trimmers: Stihl introduced seven professional string trimmers: the FS 91, FS 91 R, FS 111, FS 111 R, FS 111 RX, FS 131, and FS 131 R. These professional trimmers have powerful low-emission engines, providing 30 percent longer run times than their predecessors. The newest members of the string trimmer family feature a simplified three-step start procedure enabled by the semi-automatic choke lever, saving users time. Each product’s vertical pleated paper air filter allows for better filtration, extended replacement intervals and long service life.
* Stihl edgers: The new professional edger line includes three models: the FC 91, FC 96, and FC 111. With large 710-cc fuel tanks and low-emission engines, this line of professional edgers provides 30 percent longer run times than their respective predecessors, meaning more work between fill-ups. The edgers feature a vertical pleated paper air filter for better filtration, extended replacement intervals and long service life. The line also features one-touch stop and a simplified starting procedure enabled by the semi-automatic choke lever.
* Stihl extended-reach hedge trimmers: Users can choose the ideal length for easy maneuverability from three new short-shaft hedge trimmers with fixed-angle blades — the HL 56 K (0 degrees), HL 91 K (0 degrees), and HL 94 K (0 degrees). To trim difficult angles on tall hedges, users can select either the new short-shaft HL 94 K (145 degrees) or the HL 94 (145 degrees) — with articulating blades adjustable in 13 positions.
* Stihl KombiMotors: Professionals can pack the power of up to 14 tools in one with Stihl KombiMotors. The KombiMotor allows professionals to cultivate, edge, prune, trim, blow, sweep, and conquer lawns. With large 710-cc fuel tanks and low-emission engines, Stihl’s three new KombiMotors (KM 91 R, KM 111 R, and KM 131 R) provide 30 percent longer run times than their respective predecessors, meaning more work between refills.
* Stihl dedicated bed redefiner: Previously only available as a Stihl KombiSystem attachment, professional landscapers can now give lawns and flower beds a crisp, clean edge with the gasoline-powered Stihl FB 131 bed redefiner.
* Stihl backpack sprayer: Ideal for farmers, foresters and pest controllers, the SR 430 liquid-only backpack sprayer delivers 20 percent more spraying range and has a 33 percent larger container opening than the SR 420. The 3.7-gallon container allows professionals to work for long periods of time without stopping to refill.
* Stihl pressure washers: Stihl also introduced two residential pressure washers (RB 200 and RB 400 Dirt Boss) and two commercial pressure washers (RB 600 and RB 800). The 173-cc (5-hp.) engine of the RB 200 delivers 2,500 psi of water pressure for occasional use on tough residential tasks. The RB 400 Dirt Boss delivers additional power with a 196-cc (6.5-hp.) engine that can output 2,700 psi of water pressure at 2.7 gallons per minute (gpm). The RB 600 gets the job done with a high-powered 208-cc (7-hp.) commercial-grade engine, delivering 3,200 psi at a rate of up to 3 gpm. The RB 800 is the most powerful industrial-strength high-pressure washer in the Stihl line, boasting a 429-cc (14-hp.) engine, delivering 4,200-psi water pressure, hitting the toughest heavy-duty commercial cleaning projects with up to 4-gpm water pressure.
For more information, visit www.stihlusa.com.