Toro has previewed a new robotic mower that will be available to consumers in the spring of 2023.
“Our commitment to alternative power, smart connected, and autonomous technologies will enable people to create an amazing space for their families and do more of what they love for generations to come,” says Greg Janey, vice president, residential & landscape contractor business and center for technology, research and innovation (CTRI) at The Toro Company.
The new robotic mower is a culmination of years of research and development, Toro reports, and will feature industry-leading capabilities, including:
- A vision-based localization system and wire-free navigation – allowing for easy setup tailored to each yard without underground boundary wire installation. Its proprietary vision system uses multiple cameras to map and localize in the yard, enabling the mower to navigate tight spaces and move around structures such as trees and landscaping. It’s also capable of crossing surfaces, such as driveways and sidewalks, to maintain all areas of the property.
- A Smart Zonesmowing system, which can be controlled through custom settings in the app. Through this system, the mower will automatically keep the lawn at a consistent, owner-selected height by cutting the smallest amount of grass each day for optimal lawn health.
- A dedicated smartphone app – allowing users to customize their mowing schedule, whether it’s around work, sleep or travel. The app can also recommend an ideal mowing schedule based on weather forecasts and patterns.
- Third-party safety certification.
- Theft-proof features.
- Slope-friendly cutting abilities, and quiet functionality.
The robotic mower category is becoming more popular in the United States, the company states: “With robotic mowers primarily used for mid-size, residential lawns, the category is expected to grow significantly in the next 10 years as the technology develops to deliver accuracy and efficiency at an affordable price.”
The new autonomous mower will be available in red or charcoal gray. Pre-orders for the mower will begin this fall; available for purchase in spring 2023.