Americans cast thousands and thousands of votes for 171 nominees during the nominations phase of the eighth annual Independent We Stand Independent Small Business of the Year Award, also known as the Indie Award. Each year, Independent We Stand, a national small business movement, gives consumers the ability to honor locally owned businesses whose owners go out of their way to give back to their communities and provide a great customer experience.
This year, the winner will receive a branding, advertising and public relations makeover valued at $25,000, in addition to other prizes. All quarterfinalists receive an Independent We Stand Premium Membership for life. The release of these quarterfinalists precedes Small Business Saturday on Nov. 24, encouraging holiday shoppers to support small businesses. Independent We Stand asks consumers to take it a step further by only supporting small businesses instead of nationally franchised and commercial “big box” stores.
Semifinalist voting began Nov. 19 at IndieBizAward.com and runs through Dec. 16. Independent We Stand announces the winner of the Indie Award on Dec. 19.
The 2018 quarterfinalists in alphabetical order are:
- A & B Paint Supply, a paint and supply shop in Peru, Ill.
- Advantage Industries, a full service computer technology firm in Columbia, Md.
- Armstrong Mobile Blasting, a dustless sandblasting business in Logansport, Ind.
- Big Daddy’s Homeplate BBQ, a BBQ restaurant in Haverstraw, N.Y.
- Caribou Jack’s Trading Co., a paint, hardware and BBQ store in Soda Springs, Idaho
- Common Ground Grocery, a natural products grocer in Bloomington, Ill.
- From My Shelf Books & Gifts, a new and used book store and gift shop in Wellsboro, Pa.
- Gardner’s Auto Service, an automotive garage in Easton, Pa.
- H&H Supply, a plumbing, electrical and home supply store in Marion, Ky.
- Healthcare Supply, a dental supply distributor in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Indian Trail Hardware, a hardware store in Indian Trail, N.C.
- Ivy’s on Dearborn, a ladies boutique in Englewood, Fla.
- Jerry’s Lawn Mower Sales & Service, a lawn equipment sales and service center in Long Beach, Miss.
- JK Gift Shop, a gift shop and interior design studio in Medina, Ohio
- K&K True Value Hardware, a hardware store in Bettendorf, Iowa
- Lakeland General Store, a hardware store in Pelican Rapids, Minn.
- Lallatin’s Food Town, a grocery store in Soda Springs, Idaho
- Mostly Books, a book store in Tucson, Ariz.
- Plemmons Industries, a small business focused commercial real estate firm in Kent, Wash.
- Soda Sip & Soda Springs Point S Tires, a coffee and cookie shop coupled with a tire store in Soda Springs, Idaho
- Suddenly Samantha Salon, a hair, nail and makeup salon in Easton, Pa.
- The Cross Eyed Owl Gift Shop, a gift and home décor shop in Valatie, N.Y.
- The Lili Pad, a baby and children’s clothing store in Birmingham, Ala.
- TMC’s Boutique, a U.S. and Fair Trade artist gallery and shop in New Providence, N.J.
- United Veterans Construction and Landscape Solutions, Inc. (UVETS), a landscape and construction business in Fort Worth, Texas
The winner of the 2018 Indie Award will receive a prize package valued at more than $25,000, which includes:
- Branding, advertising and public relations makeover from independent advertising agency — The Meridian Group — valued at $25,000
- $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate
- Plaque to display at winner’s business
- Public relations and social media recognition
- Quarterfinalists receive an Independent We Stand Premium Membership, for life
For more information on “The Indie” or to vote for your favorite small business, visit www.IndieBizAward.com.