Makita introduced 10 new products at the recent GIE+Expo, backing up its focus on battery-powered equipment. The company also has committed to cease production of gas engine equipment worldwide in March 2022.
“Pro users are seeking battery-powered equipment to replace gas engine products, and Makita continues to lead the way,” says Mario Lopez, director of product development, Makita U.S.A. “…Our continuing innovation gives professionals more options to go battery-powered and say goodbye to the noise, emissions and fuel costs of gas equipment. We’re debuting 10 new products including battery-powered equipment ideal for all-day work, and that’s exactly what a pro landscaper needs to make the transition away from gas.”
Makita’s new battery-powered products expand the company’s two existing systems – the LXT 18V|36V and XGT 40V max|80V max – and introduce the company’s new ConnectX 36V|40V max system.
The ConnectX 36V|40V max is a new run-time and power solution for professional landscapers seeking a gas replacement, the company states. ConnectX is compatible with ConnectX products as well as 40V max XGT and 36V (18V X2) LXT products. New products for the ConnectX 36V | 40V max system include:
- ConnectX 1,200Wh Backpack Power Supply (PDC1200A01) – The new PDC1200A01 is the heart of the ConnectX system. It packs the highest-capacity battery ever offered by Makita (1,200Wh) for longer run time, so is ideal for all-day work when used with compatible mowers, trimmers and blowers. It has easy compatibility with Makita ConnectX products, as well as Makita 40V max XGT and 36V (18V X2) LXT products when used with an adaptor. It features IPX4 rated weather-resistant construction. Available November 2021.
- 36V ConnectX Brushless 21-in. Self-Propelled Commercial Lawn Mower (CML01) – ConnectX System users can connect for up to 3 hours of continuous cutting with this new 21-in. mower and a fully charged Power Supply (PDC1200A01). The Power Supply can be removed from the backpack and mounted directly onto the mower for instant power. The CML01 features rear-wheel drive for improved traction on inclines and uneven terrain; it also features a commercial-grade steel deck for added durability. Available November 2021.
XGT 40V max|80V max is the handheld solution for pro landscapers, with cordless equipment and tools engineered for high-demand applications that traditionally require products powered by cords, gas or air. The expanding XGT System now offers more than 50 equipment and tools powered by 40V max batteries, and select 80V products are powered by two 40V max batteries for extended cordless performance. Makita has introduced five new additions to the XGT System, including the first 80V max solution in the XGT cutting and trimming category:
- New 40V max XGT Brushless Earth Auger (GGD01) – The 40V max XGT Earth Auger is powered by an efficient brushless motor for performance equivalent to a 30cc gas-powered earth auger. The auger will drill holes up to 8-in. wide and 41-in. deep. Available winter 2021.
- New 40V max XGT Brushless 16-in. Top Handle Chain Saw (GCU03) – The first chain saw in the XGT System, the GCU03 features a top-handle configuration ideal for tree care professionals. Available in 2022.
- New Shafted Products — Makita’s new battery-powered string trimmers and brush cutters include the 80V max (40V max X2) XGT Brushless Brush Cutter (GRU05); the 40V max XGT Brushless Brush Cutter (GRU02); and the 40V max XGT Brushless 17-in. String Trimmer (GRU03/GRU04). All available in 2022.
The Makita LXT 18V|36V cordless tool system is powered by 18V lithium-ion slide-style batteries, and is designed for pro landscapers as well as property-owners alike. Makita is debuting three new additions to the LXT System:
- 36V (18V X2) LXT 21-in. Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (XML11) – The new XML11 features a 36V brushless motor powered by two 18V batteries, but will carry four batteries on-board so users can easily extend the run time (the XML11 will run up to 40 minutes with four 18V 5.0Ah batteries). It features rear-wheel drive traction for inclines and uneven terrain. Available spring 2022.
- 18V LXT 1.3 Gallon Garden Sprayer (XSU03) – The new XSU03 is a cordless and compact solution for applying fertilizer and more. It sprays up to 77 gallons on a single charge of an 18V LXT battery. The variable mist or jet nozzles adjust pressure between 19 and 38 PSI. Available spring 2022.
- 18V LXT Cooler/Warmer Box (DCW180Z) – The DCW180Z Cooler/Warmer Box has a 20-liter capacity with five cooling modes ranging from -0.4°F to 50°F. It also has a warmer mode to keep contents warm up to 131°F. It’s ideal for mow-and-blow contractors on the road, outdoor enthusiasts, or anyone taking cold or warm contents away from a power source. Available winter 2021.